Dear Sunday School Staff
Detailed below is some vital information for the writing of the examination. Please read this carefully and make sure that your students and invigilators are familiar with these details BEFORE the examination.
• Date of Examination: Weekend of 23 - 25 March 2018.
• Exam Papers: These will be sent to you in a few weeks via email or fast mail - please warn whoever collects the mail at the address you have provided so that they pass on the papers promptly. The envelope should not be opened until after the children have been taught for the last time. Please check that you have the correct papers in the correct languages. Remember, you need to make photocopies. The envelope will also contain The Exam code, Invigilation instructions including a Trophy Report, and a questionnaire about the examination. (Please check that you have received all papers correctly, but do not study the papers until after the last teaching Sunday.)
Please note the following important information regarding the exam papers: • The Grade 12 & Adults must answer on blank lined paper (which the Sunday School must provide). • The time for each paper varies from 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes, but please be flexible in this – it is merely a guideline. Many churches complain about the shortage of time – please allow extra time if necessary especially for the adult papers! • The total number of marks varies for each grade. The Advanced Adults write an additional paper i.e Baptist Principle.
• Invigilation: Normal invigilation rules apply. • ALL entrants must write the exam at the same time on the same day. • Place entrants writing the same paper apart from each other (we will automatically disqualify entrants if cheating is detected, as has happened in the past). • Entrants in grades 3 - 5 may write with a pencil, but other entrants are requested to write with only a BLUE or BLACK pen. Other colours make marking difficult. • Only the entrant may write the answers on the exam script. Grades 3 – 5 may have the questions READ to them and difficult words explained as long as no answers are given. However, as we do have papers in Zulu or Xhosa, etc, now the questions may be translated for these students, although the answers must be made in the language of the paper. Some Sunday Schools have in the past had an invigilator for EACH Gr 3 entrant so that papers can be read, and pictures and words explained where necessary – this is totally acceptable! • If an entrant has a learning disability or needs assistance of any sort, details of this must be clearly explained in a note stapled to the front of their paper. • Please note that spelling and punctuation do not count, provided the answer is understandable.
• Student Numbers: Due to the fact that Sunday Schools have not been required to forward names of students to me before the exam, I will not provide student numbers. Details will be given with the exam papers on the procedure to provide students with numbers. Please follow these carefully to avoid confusion or incorrect results being sent out.
• Exam Fees: A reminder that the cost for the exam is R20-00 per entrant. No exam results will be issued to a particular Sunday School until all outstanding fees have been paid.
Return of papers: All papers must be returned to the above address bearing a post office mark of no later than 27 March 2018. PLEASE send the papers back per registered post - so as to avoid papers getting lost in the post! Don’t forget to send back the class register (codes), trophy report, questionnaire, and payment for entrants (if this has not already been sent).
Special recognition certificates: Special recognition stickers will be given on the certificates of those students who have written a certain number of examinations eg 5 exams, 10 exams etc. If you have students who will be writing their 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th etc exam this year, please fill in this information on the students registration list that you submit with your exam papers. The onus is on the Sunday School / individual to provided proof of number of exams. Proof would be in the form of photocopied certificates from previous years, or a copy of the results sheet sent out each year, highlighting the relevant student.
NB NB NB NB NB NB NB NB NB !!! The Scripture exam papers are based solely on the passages detailed in the syllabus and NOT what is in the teaching material.
NB: AFTER YOU HAVE MADE A DEPOSIT INTO OUR BANK ACCOUNT PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THE DEPOSIT SLIP AND SEND IT WITH YOUR SCRIPTS BY 27 March 2018. YOUR SCRIPT WON’T BE MARKED UNTIL PROOF OF PAYMENT IS RECEIVED. PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO PLACE THIS IN THE ENVELOPE WITH YOUR SCRIPTS. IF YOU PAY BY POSTAL ORDER PLEASE PUT THAT WITH YOUR SCRIPTS. YOU MAY FAX A COPY OF YOUR DEPOSIT TO 086 601 4365.
IF YOU WANT US TO SEND YOUR CERTIFICATES VIA REGISTERED MAIL IT WILL COST R55-00. IF YOU WANT THAT OPTION PLEASE SEND A REQUEST WITH YOUR SCRIPTS.
OUR BANK DETAILS ARE:STANDARD BANK CURRENT ACCOUNT NO. 252085019 BRANCH CODE: 016641 (West Gate) NAME: SCRIPTURE EXAM
Please put your church name as Reference.
I trust that the writing of the exam will go well. If you have any queries please feel free to contact me.